Subject Verb Agreement Rules and Examples
(1) Singular verb is used with singular subject and plural verb will be used with plural subject.
- A boy is playing in the ground.
- The girls are thinking about the plan.
(2) If two subjects are combined in a senetence by using “and”, the verb will be plural.
- Junaid and Naim have gone to the club.
- Two and two make four.
(3) A singular verb is used in this case -> noun + and + noun (combination sounds singular)
- Rice and curry is my favorite dish.
- Slow and steady wins the race.
(4) Verb is used according to original subject of the sentence, not according to nearest subject.
- All the students in this class are very intelligent.
- The climate of these areas is not very hot.
You can see in the first sentence, there are two nouns “students” and “class” but the verb is used according to the original noun “students”.
(5) If we combine two subjects or names by using “as well as”, “along with”, “with”, “together with” or “in addition to”, the verb is used according to first subject.
- The ship with all its passengers was lost.
- You as well as I are going to Glasgow.
(6) If two subjects or names are used with “either-or”, “neither-nor”, “not only – but also” or “or”, the verb is used according to nearest subject.
- Neither he nor his students is ready for the test. (incorrect)
- Neither he nor his students are ready for the test. (correct)
- Not only he but also his subordinates has come. (incorrect)
- Not only he but also his subordinates have come. (correct)
(7) Singular verb is used with “either”, “neither”, “none”, “everyone”, “someone”, “anyone”, “many a”, “more than one”.
- Either of the two brothers have failed. (incorrect)
- Either of the two brothers has failed. (correct)
- Each of the two sums were solved. (incorrect)
- Each of the two sums was solved. (correct)
- Many a man were present there. (incorrect)
- Many a man was present there. (correct)
Subject Verb Agreement Exercises
- Three __________ grazing there. (deer are / deers are)
- The jury _________ unanimous in its verdict. (is/are)
- His hair _________ grey. (is / are)
- I have __________ of work at home. (a piece/pieces)
- The prices of stationery __________ doubled. (has/have)
- The gentry __________ to go there. (was/were)
- He has twenty __________ rupees. (thousand/thousands)
- First innings __________ played. (was/were)
- Your spectacles __________ old. (is/are)
- Two miles __________ a long distance. (is/are)
- Vermin __________ diseases. (spread/spreads)
- The teacher with the students __________ going to park. (is/are)
- The horse and the carriage __________ gone. (has / have)
- These poultry __________ mine. (is/are)
- Summons __________ been reached. (has/have)
- Fifty pounds __________ a huge weight. (is/are)
- Either you or I __________ mistaken. (are/am)
- The students of this class _________ in time. (come/comes)
- Neither he nor his relatives __________ rich. (is/are)
- He did many __________. (kindness/acts of kindness)
- deer are
- a piece
- acts of kindness