Past perfect tense indicates the finished or completed actions of the past. For example, I had taken two doses of medicine before the fever vanished.
- before yesterday
- until that day
Structure / Formula
Subject + had + Past participle (v3)
|He||had||traveled last year.|
|He/she/it /I/we/they||had||Past participle(V3)|
To make the positive sentences, we use this structure,
Subject + had + Past participle (V3)
Examples of positive sentences
- The players had lost heart before the match finished.
- Chris had completed the assignment before he went to school.
We add ‘not’ after auxiliary verb to make the sentence negative.
Subject + had + not + Past participle (V3)
Examples of negative sentences.
- The players had not lost heart before the match finished.
- Chris had not completed the assignment before he went to school.
To make the question, ‘had’ come at the start of the sentence and question mark at the end.
Had + subject + Past participle (V3) + ?
Examples of question sentences.
- Had the players lost heart before the match finished?
- Had Chris completed the assignment before he went to school?
|1. He had drawn the sketch of a map.|
|2. The match had finished when I reached the stadium.|
|3. Had she lived in this house?|
|4. I had not planted the flowers.|
|5. John had traveled to Venice until last month.|
|6. They had eaten mangoes.|
|7. The hero had not fought with cannibals.|
|8. He had read his favorite book before yesterday.|
|9. The players had lost heart before the match finished.|
|10. I had drafted my plan before I started work.|
View also: Past Perfect Tense Practice Test
- The mechanic ________ my bike before I reached the workshop. (fix)
- She _______ the marathon. (win)
- He _______ all his money. (spend)
- The queen _______ the golden crown. (wearr)
- The old sailor _______ many oars. (utilize)
- The student _______ many hours before the exam started. (study)
- The farmer _______ wheat last year. (grow)
- We _________ her yesterday. (visit)
- The patient ________ consciousness before the doctor’s arrival. (regain)
- I ________ my work before you came. (finish)
- The mechanic had fixed my bike before I reached the workshop.
- She had won the marathon.
- He had spent all his money.
- The Queen had worn the golden crown.
- The old sailor had utilized many oars.
- The student had studied many hours before the exam started.
- The farmer had grown wheat last year.
- We had visited her yesterday. (visit)
- The patient had regained consciousness before the doctor’s arrival.
- I had finished my work before you came.