Simple past tense is used to express the actions that happened in the past or happened one after the other. For example, The baby crawled.
- Last night
- Last Monday
- In 1998
- An hour ago
Structure / Formula
Subject + V2 + Object
|Subject||Simple Past (V2)||Object|
See the structure to make affirmative/positive sentences.
Subject + Past(V2) + Object
Examples of positive sentences
- Julia made a sponge cake.
- He went to the hill station.
We use ‘not’ after auxiliary verb to make the sentence negative.
Subject + did + not + Base form (V1) + object.
Examples of negative sentences.
- Julia did not make a sponge cake.
- He did not go to the hill station.
To make the question, auxiliary verb come at the start of the sentence and question mark at the end.
Did + subject + base form (V1) + object + ?
Examples of question sentences.
- Did Julia make a sponge cake?
- Did he go to the hill station?
|Action that happened at definite time.||She went to the park an hour ago.|
|Actions that happened one after the other.||He ordered pizza. He received the pizza at home. He ate it.|
|The actions or states that finished in past.||His mother used to wash his clothes.|
|1. He drew the old man out of the ditch.|
|2. She used to wash clothes daily.|
|3. He wrote an interesting story.|
|4. The child completed his homework.|
|5. Did he live in this house?|
|6. His mother would wash clothes.|
|7. Did he write a letter?|
|8. We paid tribute to our national poet.|
|9. The boys recited the national anthem.|
|10. She did not sleep.|
- He ______ not ______ a letter. (not write)
- ______ we _____ the sum? (solve)
- We _____ tribute to our national poet. (pay)
- The boys _____ the national anthem. (recite)
- They _____ my invitation. (accept)
- _____ poor children _____ toys? (buy)
- _____ he _____ the river? (swim)
- He _____ badminton yesterday. (play)
- The child’s mouth _____ on seeing the sweets. (water)
- She ______ every challenge bravely. (face)
View also Simple Past Tense Practice Test
- He did not write a letter.
- Did we solve the sum?
- We paid tribute to our national poet.
- The boys recited the national anthem.
- They accepted my invitation.
- Did poor children buy toys?
- Did he swim the river?
- He played badminton yesterday.
- The child’s mouth watered on seeing the sweets.
- She faced every challenge bravely.